It is terrestrial season on the Big Hole River. We are having some Spruce Moth activity from Jerry Creek down to Divide. Trico’s have picked up in the mornings and hopper activity has kept our rods bent in the afternoons. Ant patterns are also working well in the afternoon. We are also throwing streamers in the morning hours with success in the deeper pools and shallow riffles.
The recent heat wave has the Big Hole on “Hoot-Owl” restrictions on certain sections of the River. Read in detail below to find out where the “Hoot-Owl” closures are located.
“Hoot-Owl” restrictions prohibit fishing during the hottest times of the day. A hoot-owl restriction prohibiting fishing from 2 p.m. to midnight. the Hoot-owl restriction is currently in effect in the below locations on the Big Hole.
-The Big Hole River From North Fork of the Big Hole River to Dickie Bridge west of Wise River, and from Maidenrock fishing Access Site (FWP site) to the Beaverhead River.
The section that is open to all day fishing with no restrictions is from Dickie Bridge on the Big Hole down to Maiden Rock (FWP) access site. If you need clarification of this location please call the shop 406-412-3463.
Please purchase your Fishing Licenses online. Click Here to purchase
COVID-19 Phase 2 Social Distancing and Sanitization Shop Regulations
In accordance with the directives of both the State of Montana and Silver Bow County, below are the rules for entering the fly shop
- No customers with COVID-19 symptoms may enter the fly shop
- Only 3 customers may be in the fly shop at one time
- Mandatory to practice 6-foot social distancing guidelines while in the fly shop
- All customers must sanitize their hands using our provided sanitizer before entering the shop
- You are welcome to try on any clothing, but please let us know so that we can sanitize the product when you are finished
- Masks are required to be worn in the shop
- Restrooms will temporarily be unavailable to the public
- Fishing Licenses have to be purchased online. Click Here to purchase
Check out our web store for the latest hopper patterns and gear. We have the new Thunder Thigh hopper, Ross Reels Gunnison 5/6 in stock and many items from Abel, Winston, Scott Fly Rods and Patagonia.
#12 Thunder Thigh Hopper
#10 Morrish Hopper
#4 Little Kim Copper
#10 Pat’s Stone
#6 Flash minnow
#10 Chubby Chernobyl (UV) (Gold) (Purple)
#16 Comparadun Yellow
#16 Power Ant
#12 Red Copper John
#12 Silver Lightning Bug
#12 Bloom’s Caddis
#14 Purple Haze